Preventing Chronic Diseases supports communities with their approaches to preventing chronic diseases. Areas we focus on include food sovereignty and security, diabetes, mental wellness, heart disease, and cancer. We are also exploring our role in advocacy to help reduce barriers to mino bimaadiziwin through changes to law and policy impacting how food is gathered and sold.
- Health promotion and education on diabetes, grief, trauma, and mental wellness.
- Provide guidebooks and mentorship on starting community gardens, raising chickens, creating food education programs.
- Support the implementation of community-run workshops on youth cooking skills (You’re the Chef) and food exploration (Taste Adventure)
- Deliver trainings and workshops on mental wellness, including Mental Health First Aid First Nations, Suicide prevention / Life promotion, and Healthy relationships
- Support community-led project planning and proposal writing
- Provide funding for food gathering and school nutrition program equipment
- Host knowledge sharing gatherings for workers and helpers
- Advocacy addressing policies and laws impacting food sovereignty and food cost