Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority (SLFNHA) takes privacy and confidentiality seriously. SLFNHA has the “Privacy Management Program” as part of our privacy and data accountability, to monitor the data’s privacy, confidentiality, and security. SLFNHA has a privacy governance structure that distributes accountability and responsibility for privacy management and oversight to the appropriate individuals and bodies, including the SLFNHA Board; the Executive team includes the CEO, COO, CAO and CFO; and the designated Privacy Officer. As a point of contact person, the Privacy Officer oversees and manages the SLFNHA Privacy Program and Data compliances associated with our Organizational Privacy and Confidentiality policies.
SLFNHA’s privacy and security best practices, follow the Provincial (PHIPA – Personal Health Information Protection Act) and Federal (PIPEDA – Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act) legislation and the principles of OCAP® (ownership, control, access, and possession – to support strong information governance on the path to First Nations data sovereignty).
SLFNHA Privacy Practices
SLFNHA PRIVACY STATEMENT – Statement of Information Practices
Our commitments to protect your Personal Health Information:
- We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance
- We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us to protect your privacy and only uses your personal health information for the purposes you have consented to.
Collection of Personal Health Information (PHI)
We collect personal health information about you either directly from you or from a person designated to make care decisions on your behalf. We collect PHI in order to provide you with healthcare by us or to assist in the provision of healthcare to you by other healthcare providers. The personal health information that we collect may include your name, date of birth, address, treaty number, health history, other records of your visits, the care that you received either at Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority or from other healthcare providers and the care you received during those visits. Occasionally, we collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits us to do so. We make sure that only those people who need to see your personal health records are allowed to look at them. We protect your Personal Health Information /Personal Identifiable Information through our privacy policies and by adopting appropriate safeguards and security measures.
Permitted uses and disclosures of Personal Health Information
We may use and disclose your Personal Health Information (PHI):
- To communicate with your various health care providers including your family physician and/or other health care institutions for continuity of care, to treat/support and care for you (unless you tell us otherwise)
- To receive payment for your treatment and care (e.g., from OHIP, NHIB, WSIB, your private insurer, or other payers)
- To plan, administer and manage our internal operations; deliver programs and services; and to conduct risk management activities
- To conduct quality improvement activities (such as sending client satisfaction surveys)
- To teach, conduct research (only under strict rules overseen by a research ethics board) and compile statistics
- For funding purposes to improve our programs and services
- To contact a relative, friend or alternate decision-maker, if the client is unable to make decision
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- To fulfill other purposes as permitted or required by law
Your choices and rights on your Personal Health Information:
You may access and correct your Personal Health Information or withdraw or withhold your consent by contacting us (subject to legal exceptions).
For more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern with our practices, please contact:
Kiruthika R, Privacy Officer
Sioux Lookout First Nations Heath Authority
PO Box 1300, 61 Queen Street, Sioux Lookout, ON, P8T 1B8