The Transportation Driver will be responsible for providing ground transportation of hostel clients and escorts from the First Nations communities approved by NIHB within an 8 km radius of Sioux Lookout. The Driver will provide general outreach and interpret for clients as well as perform routine maintenance and upkeep of the passenger vans.
Starting Salary: $23.733 per hour
Who can apply:
Persons of First Nations ancestry will be given preference (s.16 (1)CHRA)
Applicants must possess:
- Completed Secondary Education preferred but will consider life experience/skills related to this position.
- Clean drivers abstract consideration will be given to minor convictions
- Must have a valid G Class Ontario Driver’s License
- Must have a sensitive, out-going and caring attitude in working with First Nations medical clients
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A defensive driving course would be a definite asset
- Ability to speak in a First Nations dialect of the Sioux Lookout Zone (Ojibway, Cree and/or Oji-Cree) is a definite asset
- Must be willing to take additional training as directed by the CSD Manager
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide transportation for First Nations medical clients and escorts by
- Provide safe and courteous driving services, drop off and pick up in front of all medical buildings;
- Ensure that all passengers abide by safety laws (seat belts, child seats);
- Ensure all passengers are courteous and respectful of their fellow passengers;
- Working shift work and flexible shifts as required.
- Provide general outreach and interpreting services for clients by:
- Always provide proper and professional relations with clients;
- Provide polite, out-going and attentive client supervision, assistance, support and advocacy as necessary;
- Provide interpreting services as required.
- Perform routine maintenance and upkeep of Client Services Department passenger vans by:
- Provide safe and responsible operation of the department’s vehicles;
- Submit daily reports of each vehicle’s maintenance log book entries, daily vehicle Circle Checks and mileage;
- Submit daily reports of each vehicle’s client and mileage sheet used for statistical reporting;
- Monitor and report number of deliveries with and without clients for statistical reporting;
- Perform daily routine safety/Circle Checks of vehicles, including availability of safety equipment. While doing this all safety equipment must be worn. i.e. Safety vest;
- Perform light, routine vehicle maintenance and cleaning as directed by procedures or by the Client Services Supervisor.
- Pick up and deliver agency mail
- Pick up trays and orange coolers and deliver to lab
- Pick up packages from stores
- Pick up and deliver medical instruments to and from hospital and appointment clinic
- Fill up the van and fill out gas information at reception after every shift
- Plug van in during winter months when necessary
- Request supplies for van when needed
- Write up and submit incident reports to appropriate departments
- Participate and contribute to regular staff development activities and staff meetings
- Work as a team member with co-workers, SLFNHA staff and other organizations
- Provide assistance when required and any other duties assigned
As per policy, applicants should note that COVID-19 immunization is a condition of employment.
Closing date: Open till filled
Job Application Form
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org