Under the Sioux Lookout Area Primary Care Team (SLAPCT), the Registered Nurse (RN) will be responsible for supporting the provision of primary care nursing services, including assessments, education, treatment and follow-up. The RN will work alongside the Primary Care Team, caregivers and community resources to ensure high quality and timely health services/interventions using culturally appropriate practices and best practice standards of care.
The RN is a key part of the client circle of care and will work to their full scope of practice. Responsibilities will include the provision of safe and competent care through the application of professional knowledge; technical aspects of professional practice and the demonstration of compassion, professionalism and respect. The RN will work in both the clinic environment and communities; providing home visits and interventions within clients’ homes.
The Registered Nurse is directly accountable to the Primary Care Nurse Manager.
- Registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing BScN from an accredited University with identifiable community health nursing content
- Minimum of two (2) years’ work experience as a Registered Nurse
- Current CPR Certification
- Demonstrated understanding of and competence in, serving culturally diverse populations; knowledgeable of First Nations’ people, history, culture, health priorities and social issues
- Knowledge and proficiency in current evidenced-based methods and practice of primary care delivery, with an emphasis on health promotion and risk reduction
- Ability to work collaboratively within the Primary Care Team other health care professionals
- Strong computer skills and previous experience with Microsoft Office
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal/written communication skills
- Ability to function effectively during change management; periods of rapid change and transition
- Must be willing to travel by various modes
- Must have a valid Driver’s License
- Must be willing to relocate and live in Sioux Lookout (or within a daily commuting distance)
- Ability to communicate in one of the First Nations dialects of the Sioux Lookout region is an asset.
- Previous experience with an Electronic Medical Record would be an asset
- Previous experience with Diabetic Foot Care would be an asset
- Previous experience with Wound Care would be an asset
- Ability to perform the requirement of this position on a regular basis.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provision of primary care services by a Registered Nurse as outlined by the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario – Practice Standards. The provision of primary care by RN’s includes assessments of, the provision of, care for, and the treatment of, health conditions by supportive, preventative therapeutic, palliative and rehabilitative means in order to attain or maintain optimal function
- The Primary Care RN aligns her/his practice with evidence-based strategies that maintain the highest level of continuity for the client
- Collaborate effectively with all members of the Primary Care Team and assists as needed
- Recommend and adapt teaching to the client’s identified health needs, revising treatment protocols as requested
- Educate and counsel clients’ family members and caregivers to promote function and independence including health promotion and injury prevention.
- Stays current and aware of opportunities to implement new evidence-based methods of client’s assessment and treatment
- Participates in self-directed learning to ensure that practice remains relevant
- Handling of sensitive/confidential material strictly in confidence in accordance with office policy/PIPHA
- Ability to work independently and to assess/monitor client’s level of care
- Maintain required professional memberships and professional competence through participation in professional development programs and by self-directed study
- Input data/treatment plans within the Electronic Medical Record (EMR)
- Provide assistance when requested and any other duties assigned