Preventing Infectious Diseases Health Promoter – Ref #2023-138
The Health Promoter is responsible for facilitating the delivery of health promotion programming to support the prevention of infectious diseases in First Nations individuals and communities supported by Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority.
The Health Promoter is directly accountable to the Preventing Infectious Diseases Manager.
- Persons of First Nations ancestry will be given preference (OHRC, Part II, Special Employment)
- College diploma in a health-related field.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a First Nations health setting.
- Excellent English communication skills in both oral and written form, and excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to speak in one of the Sioux Lookout area First Nations dialects, and/or write in syllabics definite assets.
- Strong organizational and facilitation skills.
- Keyboarding skills and experience with Microsoft Word and other technical equipment.
- Knowledge of the culture, history, geographical location, and health priorities of the First Nations people in the Sioux Lookout region.
- Valid Class G Ontario driver’s license.
- The ability to perform the requirements of the position on a regular basis.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Works with communities to identify and monitor community priorities around infectious diseases.
- Works with communities to identify barriers to behavior change and work with them to identify solutions, develop enhanced approaches, and create supportive environments to support behavior change in communities to prevent infectious diseases.
- In collaboration with the other Preventing Infectious Diseases staff, develops, implements, monitors, and supports the evaluation of a regional strategy for infectious diseases health promotion.
- Ensures that the Preventing Infectious Diseases program incorporates community feedback into future regional and community based programs and initiatives.
- Supports and enables communities to develop and implement their own health promotion strategy/approaches to Preventing Infectious Diseases.
- Identifies, develops, and supports community capacity through training and mentorship needs of community-based staff and through the support of community action to prevent infectious diseases.
- Works with policy analysts and communities to develop and support healthy policies to prevent acquiring and transmitting infectious diseases.
- Works with other Approaches to Community Wellbeing staff to develop culturally appropriate education material and health promotion campaigns.
- Provides education and health promotion on infectious diseases to Chiefs and Councils, Health Directors, community-based nurses, community-based health workers, community members, and their contacts through community visits, radio shows, local newsletters, school programs, community workshops, webinars, videoconferences, social media, etc.
- Identifies and develops potential partnerships for regional and community-based Preventing Infectious Diseases programming.
- Develops and shares best practices for Preventing Infectious Diseases health promotion and education.
- Maintains a good working relationship with community based and off reserve health staff.
- Provides expert advice, technical consultation, and continuing education to SLFNHA staff, key stakeholders, and communities relating to preventing infectious disease health promotion.
- Uses health promotion expertise and experience to advocate for communities and the Sioux Lookout area to prevent infectious diseases.
- Represents SLFNHA and Approaches to Community Wellbeing on related working groups or committees, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Closing Date: Until Filled