Emergency Preparedness Coordinator (Ref #2022-26)
The Approaches to Community Wellbeing is a regional resource to 31 First Nations Communities. The Approaches to Community Wellbeing provides expertise, support, services, and programming in public health to the region. The program also supports communities in the development, implementation, and monitoring of their own Approaches to Community Wellbeing. The Safe Communities section of the model includes Environmental Concerns, Preventing Infectious Diseases, and Emergency Preparedness.
The Emergency Preparedness Coordinator will support communities in their preparedness efforts against threats to health. This will be done through conducting training and supporting the development and regular updating of pandemic and emergency response plans.
The Emergency Preparedness Coordinator is directly responsible to the Safe Communities Manager.
The salary for this position is $63,310 to a maximum of $81,483/annum.
Who can apply:
Persons of First Nations ancestry will be given preference (s.16 (1)CHRA)
- University degree in a health-related field
- Incident Management System and Basic Emergency Management certifications (instructor level preferred)
- Minimum two years’ experience in an emergency preparedness or response capacity
- Understanding of Public Health Systems (including Health Promotion and Protection Act and the Ontario Public Health Standards), and First Nations health systems
- Understanding of the unique determinants of health for First Nations
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to develop and maintain respectful/cooperative relationships with First Nations people, communities, service stakeholders, and health care providers to promote an integrated seamless delivery of service
- Ability to communicate in one of the First Nations dialects within the Sioux Lookout area an asset
- Must be willing to travel
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Support communities and Tribal Councils in developing and aligning pandemic plans
- Liaise with communities and Tribal Councils to ensure pandemic plans are updated annually
- Support communities in aligning pandemic plans and emergency response plans
- Maintain records of community pandemic plans and emergency response plans
- Coordinate and deliver emergency preparedness trainings and refreshers for communities and Tribal Councils
- Maintain a record of personnel trained in emergency preparedness
- Support the Preventing Infectious Diseases team in developing and updating Infectious Diseases Response Plan
- Work with the Safe Communities Manager to maintain ACW Emergency Response Plan
- Work with other departments within SLFNHA to align ACW’s Infectious Diseases and Emergency Response plans with other departmental plans and the overall organizational emergency response plan
- Monitor threats to health in the region (i.e. forest fires) and communicate prevention messages in collaboration with health promoters and ensure management is aware of impending threats
- Support communities and Tribal Councils in the public health response to emergency situations
- All other duties as assigned
As per policy, applicants should note that COVID-19 Immunization is a condition of employment within SLFNHA.
Job Application Form
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org