Cultural Advisor (Ref #2022-102)
Approaches to Community Wellbeing (ACW) is a resource for 31 First Nations communities. We promote public health in the region. We support communities as they develop, carry out, and measure the results of their own public health programs.
The Cultural Advisor provides cultural support to the ACW team. They will share their knowledge of First Nations culture, language, and traditional practices. They will help the teams include community voices and stories in our work. They will help our programs better reflect Anishinabe ways of knowing and living.
The Cultural Advisor reports to the Associate Director of ACW.
The salary for this position is $57,869 to a maximum of $70,454/annum.
Who can apply:
Persons of First Nations ancestry will be given preference (s.16 (1)CHRA)
- Two years’ experience in cultural or health programming
- First Nations traditional and cultural knowledge and how to apply it in a health setting
- Experience engaging First Nations communities
- Experience teaching or leading discussions
- Knowledge of First Nations communities in the Sioux Lookout area
- Able to communicate in one or more of the First Nations dialects of the Sioux Lookout area
- Able to provide oral and written translation in one or more of the First Nations dialects of the Sioux Lookout area
- Strong communication skills with others on the team
- Able to travel
- Diploma in a health-related field is an asset
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Improve the cultural competency of ACW staff including
- Develop standards for cultural competency training
- Maintain a resource library of cultural teaching material
- Provide teachings on Anishinabe languages, culture, and healing practices
- Provide one-on-one or small group mentorship
- Engage Elders, Knowledge Keepers, and community members to develop and improve programs, including bringing forward:
- Traditional knowledge and beliefs
- Community perspectives and priorities
- Work with other staff to develop programs, services, and communication materials that are wholistic and include traditional values, beliefs, practices, and spirituality
- Review materials made by Approaches to Community Wellbeing for cultural appropriateness and safety
- Provide advice to the public health physician to ensure cultural competency of public health guidance and direction
- Provide oral translation or interpretation for in-person activities and oral communication materials, which may include videos or radio shows
- Provide written translation of documents
- All other duties as assigned
SLFNHA currently “Strongly Recommends” COVID-19 immunizations and requests your immunization status to be sent to our staff health department if successful in the recruitment process.
Job Application Form
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org