The Approaches to Community Wellbeing is a regional resource to 31 First Nations Communities. The Approaches to Community Wellbeing provides expertise, support, services, and programming in public health to the region. The program also supports communities in the development, implementation, and monitoring of their own Approaches to Community Wellbeing.
The Nurse will undertake prevention and control activities for Preventing Infectious Diseases. The nurse will work in conjunction with the Preventing Infectious Diseases team, the Public Health and Preventive Medicine Specialist, and Community Health Teams.
Multiple positions available. These positions are for a 1-year term and can be based in Sioux Lookout, ON.
The salary for this position is $69,093 – $88,926.
Who can apply: Persons of First Nations ancestry will be given preference (s.16 (1)CHRA).
- Current Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario, in good standing
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing BScN from an accredited University with identifiable community health nursing content
- Current CPR certification
- Experience in public/community health nursing, program planning, implementation and evaluation
- Knowledge of and/or experience with health/communicable disease programs, TB, sexually transmitted or blood borne infections, MRSA, and other health issues amongst First Nations communities.
- Must have knowledge of, and sensitivity to native culture and the government health policies and regulations as they apply to aboriginal people
- Must possess excellent communication skills, i.e. Listening, oral and written English skills, public speaking, making presentations
- Must have strong interpersonal skills
- Must have excellent keyboarding skills, able to perform word processing, spreadsheets, graphics and use of other office equipment
- Experience and training in cultural competency with First Nations
- Must be willing to travel
- Ability to speak fluently in one of the Sioux Lookout Zone First Nations dialects is an asset.
- Annual flu vaccination and Tuberculin skin test
- As per policy, applicants should note that COVID-19 immunization is a condition of employment within SLFNHA.
- Co-ordinates and monitors strategic clinical infectious disease control activities including case management, contact tracing, surveillance, screening and health promotion
- Assists with outbreak management, as recommended by the Public Health and Preventative Medicine Specialist
- Provides clinical expertise to the Preventing Infectious Diseases team and to community health care providers
- Participates in the development, implementation, evaluation and quarterly reporting of the work plan
- Participates in the development and evaluation of education materials and provide support to health promotion activities for Preventing Infectious Disease
- Provides orientation of the SLFNHA’s Approaches to Community Wellbeing, and Preventing Infectious Diseases Team to primary health care providers, and facilitates continued learning opportunities about infectious disease prevention and control
- Monitors adherence of health care practitioners to Preventing Infectious Disease Control standards and follows up discrepancies to promote safe, effective care and education
- Advocates for clients and communities to enhance health determinants
- Actively participates on committees and other working groups as a representative for the SLFNHA
- Establishes and maintains a close working relationship with community health leadership and health staff to build capacity, promote awareness and self-determination in the prevention and management of infectious diseases in the communities
- Prepares timely reports on infectious diseases epidemiology, activities of protection, prevention and control of infectious diseases, and program outcomes
- In conjunction with Preventing Infectious Diseases Manager, data clerks and the Epidemiologist conducts quality control surveillance on data management and systems operations
- Performs other duties for the SLFNHA as directed
- She/he will travel to communities to ensure appropriate outbreak management, community advocacy, and assist in community-based education for Preventing Infectious Diseases
Job Application Form
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org