Nodin Child and Family Intervention Services operates under Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority (SLFNHA) to provide mental health services to the First Nation communities in the Sioux Lookout region. Nodin has an ongoing development of partnerships with many service providers to expand the range of services our clients.
To find out about the programs provided through Nodin, please click on the links on the right-hand side of this page.
To promote and support the empowerment of Anishinabe life by providing holistic healing and wellness services by:
- Providing counseling
- Education and training in community development
- Crisis intervention services
- Cultural restoration and Traditional Healing
- Being a specialized resource to communities
Nodin Counseling Services through SLFNHA has been over seeing the provision of mental health services since 1994 to First Nations clients. Mental Health services for children and youth formally under the family counseling unit of Tikinagan Child and Family Services, were formally transferred to Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority in April of 2002.
Formed in response to the Coroner’s Inquest into the tragic suicide of a young girl in our area, the NCFI Joint Management Committee assisted with the strategic planning for comprehensive mental health services, both non residential and future residential care, mental health services. The Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority oversees the implementation of current work plans and the development of strategic work plans as proposed in a five year work plan.
Activities and Issues
Listed below are new directions which have emerged since 2002:
- Creation of the mission statement and guiding principles for the enhanced services.
- Integration of NCFI infrastructure i.e.. Intake, database, file management, procedures & forms.
- Development of mental health preventative programming such as the family treatment models in that will be applicable for implementation in the Northern Communities.
- Creation of a single point of entry system referrals (Ongoing).
- Focus on continuation of care for clients
- Hospital Based Services